Ashley Wentworth Roughton.
Regularly cited as a leading Intellectual Property and Data Protection lawyer.
Graduate chemist and master’s level degrees in economics of competition and regulation and biochemistry with a PhD in applied mathematics and engineering.
Author of two standard and highly recognized texts in patents and trade marks. Review panel member of various law and science journals.
I was educated at the Universities of London, Cambridge and City and the Open University and have achieved the following qualifications.
- Mechanical Engineering – B.Sc (Eng) (Hons) (Lond) – 2:1.
- Engineering – Ph.D (Cantab).
- Law – Dipl.Law (PCL) – pass.
- Law – Bar Finals – competent.
- Law – Barrister-at-Law (Northern Ireland).
- Law – Barrister-at-Law (Republic of Ireland).
- Economics of Regulation and Competition – M.Sc (Econ) (City) – pass.
- Chemistry – B.Sc (Open) (Hons) (Mol Sci) – 2:1 (specialisms: Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Biology).
- Biochemistry – M.Sc (Biochem) (Lond) – distinction.
Some of the areas I practise in; if your area of interest is not listed, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Patents, Trade marks, Breach of confidence, Misuse of private information, Restraint of trade and copyright. Designs, PVRs and licensing issues.
IP European law.
I have appeared regularly at the Court of Justice of the European Union (where, following EU exit, I retain rights of audience)
Computer Misuse and Data Protection. I have advised the follow clients: the Business Software Alliance, The Federation Against Software Theft and the Serious Fraud Office.
Medicines & Clinical Trials.
Medicines control and clinical trials (applications, licensing and criminal aspects).
Both criminal and civil (in court and before the Information Commissioner and Information Tribunal) I have advised the UK government on drafting issues relating to the 2018 Act.
Distributed Ledger Systems.
ASIC and network patents, smart contracts and search warrants against wallet providers (and associated money laundering issues). Mining and pool disputes.
How It Works.
Contact me with your inquiry to see how I can help.
Private practice based in the UK with extensive experience with EU/UK case law.